Canton Planning and Zoning Board
- 4th Thursday of each month at 7 pm
- Canton Town Hall, 58 Park Street, Canton
- Members serve dually on both the Canton Planning and Zoning boards.
- The Town of Canton’s Planning Board is an advisory authority to the Town of Canton’s Mayor and Board of Aldermen/women. The Canton Planning Board prepares and submits zoning ordinances and maps to the Town Board for consideration and possible adoption. The Canton Planning Board may initiate, from time to time, proposals for amendments of the zoning ordinances, based upon its studies and comprehensive plan. The Canton Planning Board is also charged with reviewing plans in certain new development/re-development situations to ensure that the proposed development meets the principles and requirements of the Town’s Code of Ordinances, etc.
- The Town of Canton’s Zoning Board of Adjustment is charged with administrative review to hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there has been an error in any order, requirement, decision or determination made by the Zoning Administrator and/or any other designee of his/her as it relates to the Town of Canton’s Zoning Ordinance. The Canton Zoning Board of Adjustment also has the power and duty to hear and decide special exceptions to the terms of the Canton Zoning Ordinance under certain circumstances. The Canton Zoning Board of Adjustment is also able to hear and rule on variance requests. A variance may be granted in such individual case of unnecessary hardship upon a finding by the Canton Zoning Board of Adjustment that all of a number of conditions exists.
- Of the larger Canton Planning and Zoning Board, the Board of County Commissioners appoints four extraterritorial jurisdiction members from:
- Rough Creek
- Pigeon River
- Asheville Highway
- New Clyde Highway
- Vacancies are posted by the Town of Canton. After internal review by the Canton Board of Aldermen/women, appointment recommendations for the Canton Planning and Zoning Board are made to the Board of County Commissioners.
- Members are appointed to five-year terms.
For more information about Town of Canton Boards, visit: https://www.cantonnc.com/boards-commissions/