Medicaid / Medical Assistance
Medicaid is a health insurance program for low-income individuals and families who cannot afford health care costs. Medicaid serves low-income parents, children, seniors, and people with disabilities.
Applicants can apply in person, by mail, by telephone, or through the online application system, NC ePASS. Further information about online applications can be found on the NC Medicaid Division of Health Benefits page.
Submit information regarding your Application or Recertification by email to
Interpreter services available at no cost. Haywood County Health and Human Services is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
- Breast and Cervical Cancer Program (BCCM): Medical coverage for women ages 18 to 64 who are enrolled in the North Carolina Breast and Cervical Cancer screening program (BCCP). The women that qualify for this program cannot have insurance coverage through private insurance, Medicare or other Medicaid programs
- Call 828-452-6620, option 3 for more information about Medicaid for Families and Children
- Family Planning Program (MAF-D):Covers family planning services only; must be ineligible for all other Medicaid programs
- Foster Care or Adoption Assistance Medicaid (HSF and IAS): Medical assistance for foster children and special needs adopted children
- Medicaid for Families with Dependent Children (MAF): Medical coverage for parents or caretaker relatives with children under age 18 in their household or for children ages 19 through age 20
- Medicaid for Infants and Children (MIC): Medical coverage for children under the age of 19 whose parents’ income is below certain income limits
- Medicaid for Pregnant Women (MPW): Medical coverage for pregnant women
- North Carolina Health Choice: Children under age 19 may qualify for free or low cost health insurance if they are uninsured and if the family income is higher than the Medicaid limits, the coverage is similar to that of Medicaid
- Call 828-452-6620, option 3 for more information about Adult Medicaid
- Medicaid for the Aged (MAA): Medical coverage for people 65 or older living at home or in a nursing facility
- Medicaid for the Blind or Visually Impaired (MAB): Medical coverage for blind or visually impaired people of any age who are blind according to the definition given by the Social Security Administration
- Medicaid for Disabled Citizens (MAD): Medical coverage for people of any age living at home or in a nursing facility who are unable to work due to a disability that is expected to last at least 12 months. Disability will be determined by the state office of Disability Determination Services (DDS)
- Medicaid Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (MQB-Q,B,E ): Medicare-Aid/Special Medicaid programs for people receiving Medicare who have limited income and resources. These programs pay Medicare premiums and/or, deductibles and co-insurance
- Call 828-452-6620, option 3 for more information about Medicaid Transportation
- Medicaid recipients who are unable to arrange transportation for medical services are assisted in obtaining appropriate non-emergency transportation. If medical transportation is arranged, it is to the nearest medical provider of the recipient’s choice that is appropriate to his/her needs and is provided by the least expensive means suitable to his/her needs
- Call 828-452-6620, option 3 for more information about Special Assistance
- State-County Special Assistance (SA): Provides a cash supplement to help low-income individuals pay for room and board in residential facilities including adult care homes/assisted living, family care homes and group homes that provide supervised living
- State-County Special Assistance In-Home Program for Adults (SA-IH): Provides a cash supplement to help low-income individuals who are at risk of entering a residential facility such as an adult care home or supervised living group home and would like to remain at home. This assistance provides an alternative to placement in this type of residential setting for individuals who could live at home safely with additional support services and income
Equal Opportunity Employer & Provider
Haywood County Health and Human Services Agency is an equal opportunity employer and provider.